Top 6 Open Source Media Players for 2024
With the increasing advancement of media formats, you might have various players for different videos and audio. If you have limited space on the computer or Mac, a powerful player can free up your devices. If you are troubled with finding a suitable multimedia player to enjoy your favorite music, funny videos, or exciting game clips, then what you need is an all-in-one multimedia player. Here we collected and ranked the 6 best open source video or audio media players. Hopefully, you can get an amazingly wonderful audiovisual experience.
Part 1. Blu-ray Player from Blu-ray Software
Blu-ray Player from Blu-ray Software is a region-free Blu-ray and DVD player available for Windows PC and Mac. It allows you to enjoy Blu-ray, DVD, videos, or audio region free regardless of where you bought it. This one multifunctional Blu-ray player can help you play all file formats, just install this treasure tool and have a try.
- It can support more than 600 formats of playback, including common ones like MP4, VOB, WAV, and HTML5 video, the only widely supported video playback in modern browsers.
- It has a high speed in playback with 3 accelerating decoding options which speed up the loading for any Blu-rays, allowing you to gain a smooth watching experience.
- It can assist you in quick snapshots with a single click and supports different output formats including PNG, BMP, and JPEG.
Part 2. VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is an open source cross-media video player compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux, and has enjoyed great popularity among users for so many years.
- It can play most common multimedia files including MPEG, AVI, WMA, MP4, 3GP, etc.
- It is equipped with advanced technology and users can quickly control their playback.
- It is the Windows in-built player and there are no annoying ads.
Part 3. Kodi
Kodi is another popular open source media player created by a community. Various add-ons for the Kodi platform allow you to customize your entertainment interface, greatly presenting your personality and preserving your preference. You can even play your favorite BDMV file on this player.
- It can play video files in popular formats like MP4, WMV, AVI, MKV, and ASF.
- It allows you to modify some video parameters like Video Scaling, Contrast, Pixel Ratio, Brightness, etc.
- It provides a complete function package such as the excellent video playback feature.
Part 4. MPV
MPV can also serve as an open source music player. The most distinctive feature of MPV is its intuitive and memorable interface, quite friendly to new hands. If you like a concise and cleanly designed media player, then you can choose this one.
- It supports video files in popular formats like MP4, WMV, AVI, VOB, AAC, etc.
- It offers extensive control over color management, quality algorithms, compression, and frame timing.
- It has a user-friendly interface and you do not need to spend much time learning the operation.
Part 5. Bino
Bino is also a free open source video player available for Windows. MPV can also serve as an open source music player. The most distinctive feature of MPV is its intuitive and memorable interface, quite friendly to new hands. If you like a concise and cleanly designed media player, then you can choose this one.
- It can play standard 2D videos of multiple commonly used video formats such as WMA, AVI, MP4, MPEG, etc.
- It supports virtual reality environments such as CAVEs and StreamVR.
- It provides various adjustable settings including Display Color, Subtitle, Video, and Cross-Talk.
Part 6. Audacious
Audacious is an open source music player that can play your audio files without overloading your devices. Users can simply drop or drag media files to this tool with ease.
- It supports most commonly used audio formats such as MP3, AAC, WavPack, Monkey’s Audio, etc.
- It allows users to create their music library and provides access to listen to music on the internet and CDs.
Part 7. FAQs About Open Source Media Player
What is an open source video player?
It is the software that allows everyone to use and install without paying. The source code is available to the public for modification, use, redistribution, and other uses.
Which free video player is best for PC?
Many players recommended in the article are compatible with computers. The best one we recommend is the Blu-ray player from Blu-ray Software with its powerful features. It can play various video files such as HEVC. Just upload your movies or music on the player to enjoy.
Is VLC the open source?
Yes, VLC Media Player serves as an open source multimedia player, and it can play various video formats for free.
When you have trouble finding a media player, you can consult this article to can learn about the features of each open-source video player. For most people, a Blu-ray player from Blu-ray Software is the first option due to its versatility in its function. If you have other media players to share, you can give us comments.